The use of dorm lighting can truly transform your college dorm room. Many people neglect to think about the use of dorm lights and often find themselves with little more than the overhead fluorescent panels and maybe a desk lamp or two. However, using other light options can truly take your room to the next level and give it a completely different mood and feel. From fun and funky designs to sleek and sophisticated looks, we’re sure you’re bound to find something you like from our list of dorm lighting ideas below:
1. The Classic Christmas Tree Lights: Just about 1 out of 10 dorm rooms will have Christmas tree lights strewn around the room. Some opt for clear white, others go for the multi-colored varieties. You can also find them in solid colors such as all blue, all red, all green, all orange, all purple, and all pink strands and others. They can give a nice glow to a room, but they also tend to be a bit warm, which is why we suggest using led lights if possible, since otherwise you’ll notice they add a good extra 10 degrees to your room. (Not a bad thing if you’ve got bad heating though!) You can also experiment with neat things like setting them up to a mixer so they blink with the beat of the music you play on your ipod or CD player.
2. Psychedelic Room: Think black lights and lava lamps for this theme. You can get large overhead black lights, or simply substitute a special bulb in any standard lamp you have. This one’s not for everyone, but it can be a lot of fun for the right type of person.
3. Candlelight: Chances are your campus has a rule about no candles. (Ours did at least, much to our dismay) The good news is you can now use flameless candles that can provide the same flickering light…but without the open flame and potential fire hazard. Some of them even come with a remote to operate them turning on and off, which makes them perfect for hanging on walls and setting up beautiful displays to add a little atmosphere to your space.
4. A Floor Lamp: A floor lamp provides a nice amount of light, but without it being that drab fluorescent bulb you’re stuck with. They come in all types of shapes and styles. You can get a chrome modern industrial looking one or you can go for something a little more fun. We suggest one that runs on a three way bulb or has alternative lamps so you can adjust the lighting amount accordingly.
5. A Reading Light: It is inevitable that there will be a time when your room mate wants to sleep and you’re going to need to study or catch up on a little reading. A small pocket size reading lamp is perfect for these occasions, and they are very easy to find. You can often get them in dollar or discount stores very inexpensively.
There are many more possibilities and options for different lighting options you can try. These are just a few of the most popular and common ones we’ve seen in college dorms. To help you decide on what options are best for you, you’ll want to think about the placement of the lamp, the style and colors that coordinate well with your room, and something that offers practical and functional design to your space. By giving a little added attention to college dorm lighting, you’ll be sure to have something special that makes your dorm room unique from all the rest.
Category: Dorm Room Decorations